Friday, February 13, 2009

Curiouser and Curiouser...



Who is the mysterious lady constantly by my side?



Well Miss Katie, the inked light and shadow on my right arm is actually Erato, Sacred Muse of Erotic Poetry:

[Quote="Theoi.com"]"ERATO was one of the nine Mousai (Muses), the goddesses of music, song and dance. Her name means "the lovely" or "beloved" from the Greek word eratos. In Classical times--when the Muses were assigned specific artistic spheres--she was named Muse of erotic poetry and mimic imitation and represented holding a lyre."[/Quote]

My drawing (and consequent inking) was inspired by ancient Greek mythology, the Art Nouveau movement and it's designs, and... the band Muse's cover art (the covers of Supermassive Black Hole and Knights of Cydonia, specifically)! Can you spot the elements from the design?



Oh, and the seven stars are inspired by one of my favourite constellations, the Pleiades, which funnily enough I just found out (whilst looking on Wikipedia for the Pleiades to show you all!) are called Subaru in Japanese! Well, there you go! ;)

She's (well, my half sleeve in particular...) not quite finished yet, but you'll be sure to see when it is! It will still be in greyscale/black/white. I originally intended on having the Oracle Of Delphi/the Pythia on my other arm, but we will see how we go - for now I am smitten with just the one (though I have roughly sketched the other).

1 comment:

  1. That's extremely interesting, I'll have to read more about it. The greeks were such interesting people eh? The sleeve is beautiful and I can't wait to see the finished product. The stars are also pretty.

    ReplyDelete