Sunday, February 15, 2009

"For The Blood is The Life..."


Much information on the natural disasters currently wreaking havoc here in Australia over the past few weeks or so has been covered in both local and international news programs. I strongly believe that charity begins at home, and in order to help other nations help themselves, we must first look after our own in order that we can afford to. I am also of the persuasion that it is not only money that can help others, but also one's time and/or skills, objects of everyday convenience that we are not in need of ourselves (hairbrushes, clothes, fresh produce), and other such.

The blood banks here in Australia are so often in dire need of blood supply, particularly in Winter months, when many donors cannot give for they are sick with the common cold or flu.

Me and mine are thankfully not in immediate danger from the fires here in Victoria, and I was glad to learn that my brother and his were safe from the floods in Queensland, but I wanted to help. I do not have personal transport in order to give of my time, nor have much in the way of money or goods to give, and am not close enough to their homes to share our living space. So I thought I could help the injured, by giving of myself. My blood.

Those injured and those in hospital fighting for their survival from the fires often require blood transfusions, and on going treatment also. There is an event on Facebook in order to encourage others in my region and beyond, to give of their own blood if they can, or to pass the invitation on to those they know who may be able to. It's a modest gift, but it can go a long way.

Donating Blood For Fire Victims

Donate Blood
For those of you without Facebook

Red Cross Bush Fire Appeal and Flood Relief

BushFire Benefit Concert
To be held at Bendigo on the 22nd of this month.

I hope everyone is taking care, and keeping safe. Hats off to the many volunteers and the Fire Fighters doing their part to save our countrymen's lives, properties, and our native wildlife.

R.I.P those who fought for their lives and homes but sadly lost both.

As Sigur Ros sing in their song 'Viðrar Vel Til Loftárása': "en það besta sem guð hefur skapað er nýr dagur"...
..."THE BEST THING [GOD] CREATED WAS A NEW DAY".

1 comment:

  1. I hope everything is okay. Those fires sound horrible. I didn't read much about it but heard that there was incredible heat waves there and horrible fires. Stay safe and I bet they thank you for the blood!

    ReplyDelete